Mushrooms, Mexican food, and colorful plants. The Good, The Best, and The Goodness.
When mixing mushrooms, veggies, and spices, the flavorful fiesta in this recipe shines, especially when you use Portobello mushrooms, with their excellent, tender, “meaty” texture.
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers of different colors or four halves. More colors, more salsaaaaaa!!!!
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (recipe below)
- Juice of 1/2 lime (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (sub water/broth for oil-free)
- 6 corn tortillas (or whatever base you enjoy))
TOPPINGS OF CHOICE:
- Avocado or guacamole
- Dairy-free cheese (or any regular or organic Mexican blend cheese)
- Cashew sour cream (or the typical or organic sour cream)
- Nutritional yeast
Taco seasoning recipe.
There are some great, premixed taco seasoning brands out there. If you decide to use those instead of making your own, make sure to read the label because some are hotter than others. Here is our recipe:
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional – if you like heat)
1 Bunch of cilantro for garnish
1 bunch of green onions for garnish
1 tbsp of lime juice for flavoring
- Clean the mushrooms, remove the stems and cut into about 1/3-inch-thick slices.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
- Make taco seasoning* by combining all ingredients in a bowl, or keep your premixed choice handy.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil (or water/broth for oil-free) and the peppers and onions. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add mushroom slices and 1 Tbsp of taco seasoning.
- Stirring occasionally, cook another 7-8 minutes or until softened.
- Add the juice of 1/2 lime (or more) and stir. Salt if necessary and turn off the heat.
While the veggies are cooking, prepare your toppings of choice. Warm the tortillas if desired.
Once everything is ready, serve the fajita mixture into the center of tortillas and add the toppings of your choice.
Add some cilantro, green onions, and a little splash of lemon juice for a more robust flavor.